EVERYONE IS WELCOME!
Elsmere Presbyterian Church (EPC) is a well-established ministry in the suburbs of Wilmington, Delaware. It was Christian education for children that birthed the ministry of Elsmere Presbyterian Church.
EPC began as a Sunday school outreach of the Hanover Presbyterian Church in 1889. At that time the Elsmere area was undeveloped and largely rural. In 1911 the church was officially organized as part of the New Castle Presbytery. As the community around Elsmere developed, especially during World War II, growth of the congregation accelerated. The growing congregation built the current sanctuary/fellowship hall building on New Road and Ohio Avenue in 1949.
In 1962 a Christian Education building was erected next to the sanctuary. The education building was and is still used for Sunday Church School. The education building also houses the Elsmere Presbyterian Church Child Care Center.
In 1989, during the ministry’s 100th year, the congregation connected the sanctuary and education building creating one structure. There were several aims of the project including the removal of asbestos from the education building, an expansion of the EPC Child Care Center capacity, and a linking of the two buildings. The project was entitled “Connecting the Church to the Community.”
Today, as at the beginning, ministry to children is a vital part of EPC life. Young children are cared for in EPC’s Child Care Center and our church school provides Christian Education to the children and youth of our church.